Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cyclops W.I.P. - Step 2 - Tighten pencils and panic!!



What to do. What to do.

I thought things were off to a smooth start on this until I had to draw Cyclops' optic blast.

Given the angle of the face, the beam would have to obscure part of the figure and I had to decide which part!

You see Cyclops doesn't shoot laser beams out of his eyes, he emits concussive force blasts! Ahh, see the difference?

Every single comic representation of Cyclops' optic beams have all been shown to be solid NOT transparent (as seen below). So it's inevitable that the blast would cover something.

Look out!!

Not wanting it to look puny, I made the beam as wide as possible and then had to make a decision. Either obscure the nose, mouth, and shoulder or hide part of the hand and forearm.

The profile of the face and bulge of the trapezius muscle really appealed to me and I didn't want to lose either one, so I went ahead and had Cyclops shooting off to the side instead of down the middle.

I hope I made the right choice!

With that settled and the shadows penciled in, the next step is the fun part.....laying down the paint!

12 comments:

naturgesetz said...

FWIW, I think you made the right choice. I also think that your drawing looks much better at this stage than the example you gave us of how it looks "irl." Of course, you have the advantage of not having the costume, so you can give more detail, which makes it more interesting.

BTW, I know I still owe you an account of my retreat. I do intend to get to it before I've forgotten everything.

Steven Anthony said...

I think both the drawing and you are brilliant! :)

pathetic prophet said...

just because everybody else makes the beam solid, is there any real reason why you have to. How about something semitransparent that shows the features you want to show but still has the feel of something solid? (A watercolor wash that doesn't obscure what's behind it)
I like your rendition the way it is; it shows the character of the face, and the musculature in the upper arm is enough for me to visual what's not shown; I was just wondering....

Manon Doyle said...

I do like the optic blast! I think it's incredibly cool. Dean..... I have to say again that your drawing skills are awesome!!

**WE BLOG ARTISTS** said...

THIS IS STELLA...as we'd say in the UK.
Sorry haven't passed by for a while...I'm feeling a different energy here...love the comic background too...this is STELLA!!!!

GO DEAN GO!
HUGS
Char

DKSmall, artist said...

Oh yes, RIGHT choice ! Nothing lost.

Dean Grey said...

naturgesetz!

Hopefully you still like the drawing once it's finished!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steven!

*blushes*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pathetic prophet!

Yes, I thought about doing a semi-transparent wash but it would no longer look like an optic blast and more like a beam of light which is not his superpower!

I don't think there's any real way around it but to make the blast solid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Manon!

YOU are awesome!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**WE BLOG ARTISTS**!

I've been slowly tweaking the blog's layout and I'm happy to hear you're feeling a different energy here, Char!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DKSmall!

That makes me feel better, David!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I appreciate everyone's input on this!

-Dean

sMacThoughts said...

It's absolutely fantastic, Dean!!!

Joe Everson said...

I am liking what you have drawn. The contour lines are strong. I think that you have done a great job. The only thing I would say, is something that I tell myself. Make your darks dark. And your lights light. Keep it up. I think you have a natural talent.

Dean Grey said...

sMacThoughts!

Yay!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joe!

I appreciate you stopping by my blog and for the suggestions! I will make the darks dark and the lights light!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to the pair of you!

-Dean

AndyDrewby said...

Dean,
Believe in yourself and you will succeed beautifully.

Dean Grey said...

Andy!

Awww, thanks for that!

Get back to blogging soon!

-Dean