Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Death to the dream.....dream to the death.


It can stir my soul even when I'm in the grips of depression. It makes me feel alive....excited! A smile spread across my face just typing that. That is how I know it's my calling in life.

I've always LOVED comic books and dreamed of becoming a comic book illustrator since the age of 13.

All of high school was spent drawing and copying comic book characters. The practicing continued throughout college. And the several years immediately following graduation were consumed with studying and learning on my own.

Oh how I wanted it! How I prayed for it! But it wasn't enough.

To be frank, I still sucked even after all those years of training. And the dream of a career in comics grew dim and sad and hopeless. And that killed a lot of the joy and impetus that's so very crucial in making dreams a reality.

The dream was then placed on the back burner as a way of keeping it alive. Being a comic book artist was my number one goal in life! If I failed, it was all over and I'd have nothing. But by saying, "I'll get to it one of these days", it allowed me to conveniently keep the dream a possibility without having to do anything about it.

But enough of that bullshit! The time has come to take ACTION! To dust off the dream of becoming a comic book illustrator and remove it from my hiding place.

To try again with new purpose! New focus! New zeal!

Either I let the dream die once and for all and move on or keep it alive and dream until I die! (Let's hope it's the latter!)

Scene from Wonder Woman #108 (1959)

And "Suffering Sappho!" you ask?

Just one of many colorful expressions the Amazin' Amazon would say back in the day during her numerous adventures.

Here's to jumping into some adventures of my own! And it begins TODAY!

26 comments:

**WE BLOG ARTISTS** said...

WOOOHOOO...YAAHOOO...gotta make it big...it's your first post!!!!
Awesome...CONGRATS...and wicked writing.
How did I find you?
I liked your Avatar on Sophie's blog comments....
Nice to encounter thee.
Char.

Dean Grey said...

**WE BLOG ARTISTS**!

You're the very first person to comment on my new blog!

Hooray!

I appreciate your enthusiasm, Char!!

-Dean

AndyDrewby said...

Just thought I'd say it twice, Good Luck.

Ren said...

"New purpose! New focus! New zeal!"

You go for it man - keep the dream alive. Who knows where it will lead?

New blog, new start. The sky's the limit.

Octavius said...

I'm really looking forward to it.

Live your dreams mate...

Octavius.

**WE BLOG ARTISTS** said...

There will be lots to come...can't wait to see what will be!
Have a great day D!
Char

Dean Grey said...

Andy!

I appreciate it.....twice!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ren!

Exactly! Who knows where it'll lead but I'm excited to find out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Octavius!

I will try doing just that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**WE BLOG ARTISTS**!

Yippee!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to all of you for the encouraging words!

-Dean

Writer said...

Good luck! :)

Manon Doyle said...

I'm looking forward to this Dean! I'm so happy you're taking the leap!!

Steven Anthony said...

Jump away my friend, you can and will do it!:)

naturgesetz said...

This is great!

Congratulations on making the decision you wanted to.

DKSmall said...

Just what I am learning to do as well... and the race is on ! (LOL)
Go Dean Go.

Dean Grey said...

Writer!

Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Manon!

I'm happy about it too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steven!

I hope so!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

naturgesetz!

Thank you as well!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DKSmall!

No race, David. Just a friendly competition, right?
(~_^)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone's comments are very much appreciated!

-Dean

bK said...

That's an amazing dream! I hope it works out for you!

pathetic prophet said...

This is so exciting!!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!!! It's really great to watch someone open up and become what they want to be. I wish everybody had the courage (me included)

Aaron said...

:D I very much look forward to this adventure!

Dean Grey said...

bK!

I hope it does too!

(Hmm....I'm not able to view your blog for some reason).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pathetic prophet!

I'll try not to disappoint you then!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aaron!

(^_^)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to the three of you gentlemen for stopping by!

-Dean

randuwa said...

So don't keep us all in suspense too long. Eager to see the works!

joanne May said...

Hi Dean,
Thank you for your message...
I feel you and I are on a similar page in life.;)
I'm pleased to see I am on your blog list.;)
I am a great believer in looking at your childhood dreams to see what your destiny is in your adult life.
I have spent many years practicing my creative skills... Being good at your craft can take years to master and you have to make a few sacrifices on the way.
If you have too many friends and a great social life you would not have the time to become good in your creative work!
The creative journey is really now beginning for you, so keep your balance on all levels. You will have quite a few ups and downs, good days and bad days, that is normal!
I will look forward to visiting you here and seeing your work in progress. It is very exciting.:)
It's really lovely to know you Dean Grey...
Keep positive my good friend.
Jo.:)

Kathleen Coy said...

I love comic book art, especially the facial expressions. Wishing you all the best, Dean!

Carol Nelson said...

ZZOOM!

Carolina said...

Hi Dean!
Congratulations on this new adventure...! I want to see your first attempts, I guess you will need some time to find your own style in this new arena, and I don't want to miss the process. Please, show us all!
Best regards,
Carolina

sMacThoughts said...

Oh this is a wonderful, inspiring post... we all have times we've done this or have felt like this... but you are judging yourself against those you admire.... make your *own* way; your own style and look. There are no rules in art or creativity!

Dean Grey said...

Randy!

Patience is a virtue! I'll post as often as I can!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joanne!

That's exactly what I needed to hear!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kathleen!

Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carol!

LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carolina!

You're right. I'm going to have to develop my style all over again. It will take time though!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sMacThougts!

I am going my own way!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I appreciate everyone's positive words here!

-Dean

Alan said...

Just found your blog Dean. Go for your dream. It's better to have had your wish than to have wished you had!

And BTW you should check out a wonderful book called The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. Pulitzer Prize winner. It's about two young guys in NYC who become friends and go into the comic book business together. I don't normally read a lot of fiction but this one I couldn't put down. Hope you like it.

Dean Grey said...

Alan!

I'm glad you found me!

Thanks for the support and for the reading recommendation!

I'll check that out!

-Dean